Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ghosts of the Past


Yesterday, I got an email from Julia about this incredible article.  It lists massive estates in England that were torn down, only to be replaced by office buildings, golf courses, etc. 

This is one of the best articles I've seen in a long time.  It's devastating, isn't it?  Makes me want to win the lottery and go to Britain and buy some dilapidated old castle and restore it.  Actually - I wish I could do that here in the US.  

I was in Buck Hill Falls, PA yesterday in the Poconos with my family...and when we're there we always drive by the old "Buck Hill Inn".  In its heyday, it was like a Downton Abbey in the US...except it was a hotel, run by a massive amount of staff.  Celebrities and presidents stayed there over the years...but now it's completely dilapidated and so sad to see.  There are always groups trying to raise money to restore it...but no one ever does.  There is a website with info about what they'd like to do but I guess they need a lot more money.  Hopefully, they'll find it.  Maybe I'll win the lottery.


No comments:

Post a Comment